Thursday, January 20, 2011

Top 25 Power Ballads: #15 - 11

We're at the half-way point of the countdown. Usually the time where I start thinking what's the next useless waste of time countdown I'll come up with in my own head and spend way too many hours debating. But for the most part, we're moving onto the legendary stage of the list. Rock on.

If you need a refresher:

#15: THE BALLAD OF JAYNE, L.A. Guns (1990) Oh hair bands singing about untimely death. I admit, I'm a sucker for them. This ain't the first on the countdown, and it's not the last. The saddest part about this song though isn't the story being told, but rather how Tracii Guns became the 1980's version of Pete Best to Slash's Ringo. I don't watch music videos anymore, primarily because I'm pretty sure they're extinct, but do singers still clench their fists when the camera focuses on them?

#14: WIND OF CHANGE, Scorpions (1990). I miss the Cold War. And don't lie, you do too. This whole ambiguous war-on-terror hasn't lent itself to any great contributions to pop culture. There is no Rocky IV or Red Dawn. Sorry, Hurt Locker blew. But this...The Wind of Change. ICONIC. Regardless of your political leanings, you can't help but get chills down your back. The video? Ehh. I could do without the Pope and George Bush The Elder. But you can't change history.

#13: I WON'T FORGET YOU, Poison (1987) Hands down, Poison's most under-rated track ever. You could argue I'm under-rating it by denying it a place in the top 10 but let's just say there's plenty more of Brett, Ricki, CC and Bobby to come. I know Poison, and Brett Michaels are kind of looked at as a bit of a joke these days, and within reason. Many might consider them the poster-children for the Glam Band Era. And I do too, but for a different reason: Like the age itself, Poison is infinitely greater than it's given credit for. 

#12: I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU, Bon Jovi, 1988 I consider this track to be Richie Sambora's coming out party. No, I'm not talking about that type of coming out. This is a man who was happily involved with Cher. OK, bad example. Moving along. The insanely under appreciated opening guitar riff is one thing, but what's always stood out to me was the "Woman you know my hands are dirty" line he backs up JBJ with.
Side note to Jon though: Not there when she was happy OR down AND you missed her birthday? Forgive her if she finds your promise To Be There For Her to be shallow at best. 

#11: THE FLAME, Cheap Trick (1988) Like their predecessors on the list, Def Leppard and Aerosmith, Cheap Trick enjoyed a storied pre-Hair Band career. They certainly don't belong as a group in the same classification with a majority of these artists. But listen to "The Flame". There's no mistaking the fact that this is a Class A Power Ballad. And a great one at that. When I think of the summer of 1988, I think of the McDLT, Michael Dukakis, "The Flame" and Eric Carmen's "Make Me Lose Control". (Another great tune but I didn't feel like it qualified)
Next week, we bring out the Big Guns and move into the Top Ten. Many repeat artists, but there's three that haven't shown up on the list just yet. Including one that I cringe to put into this classification. I'm not trying to give anything away. Just asking for a little pa....

No comments:

Post a Comment