Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A (Half) Day In The Life of an iPod

An ideal Day in the office is one of those days where I can throw the earbuds in, hit play on the iPod's shuffle, lock the device and get to work. People tend to ask less questions you're listening to the iPod, which is another unexpected gift. Today's been one of those days, save for a few required interactions. How has the machine treated me so far? You can be the judge:

1. Say Please - Monsters of Folk. A treat to start it off. Technically the shuffle starts with "Take on Me" by A-ha as it's sorted alphabetically by artist. That song never gets heard.
2. Wild Honey Pie - The Beatles. 50 Seconds that made me contemplate listening to the entire White Album. But there's more shuffling in store.
3. Sweet Music Man - Kenny Rogers. When you think it's it's a great idea to upload your father's entire CD collection, think again. Unlock -> Skip
4. Forever Young (Live at Budokan) - Bob Dylan. Try as hard as you want Pepsi, you can't ruin this gem.
5. Just Friends - Amy Winehouse. Ehhhhhh
6. My Sweet One - Phish. 10:45 this morning and still stuck in my head.
7. Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row. Now we're talkin'. Sebastian Bach - Most Underrated Canadian.
8. That Old Thing - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Not the best follow up to the Skids.
9. Break On Through - The Doors. Most recent remaster version, has a random Jim scream in the chorus. Don't like it.
10. Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down. Ashamed to enjoy this song as much as I do.
11. Martyr - Rusted Root. Not Ecstasy. Not Send Me on My Way. One of the others.
12. Pullin Me In - Wyclef Jean. Did you know he's from Haiti?
13. One Week - Barenaked Ladies. Even when I'm not putting this on a playlist, it's showing up in a playlist. Saw them in concert once. There's a moral to that story I should tell you about some time.
14. I Shall Be Released (Biograph) - Bob Dylan. Doesn't get much better than this.
15. The Price You Pay - Bruce Springsteen. How come The River isn't considered one of his staple albums?
16. Dive In - Dave Matthews Band. It seems they're no Taylor Swift per the experts.
17. My Little Demon - Fleetwood Mac. Don't mean to burst bubbles, but they're not that good of a band. At all.
18. Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen. Pour Some Out for Giants Stadium.
19. Cool Dry Place - Traveling Wilburys. One of these days I won't need to wiki the lineup.
20. This Protector - White Stripes. Getting into a groove now, iPod's being generous.
21. Jesus Walks - Kanye West. Groove. Ended.
22. Back in the USSR - The Beatles. Reggie (this iPod's name) diggin the White Album.
23. Voodoo Lady - Ween. Making me wanna root for the Saints.
24. Let It Rock - Bon Jovi.  Classic album opener.
25. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Bon Jovi. Uh-oh. Back to back. I smell a run.
26. Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin. Yeah, I just wanna be in Pine Hall right now.
27. Mystery Train - The Doors (Live in Boston) - Can only imagine what was being passed around the Boston Garden this night.
28. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue. Did you know Vince Neal is a dreamer, but his heart's of gold?
29. Put Another Nickel In - Teresa Brewer. See Rogers, Kenny
30. Flourescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys. Love this song. Think it's about sex. I ain't as hip as I used to be.
31. To All The Girls I've Loved Before - Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias. Musical, as well as Unintentional Comedy GOLD. A classic. Pretty sure I dedicated something "To all the girls I loved before" in my HS yearbook. God I was a prick.
32. It's All Understood - Jack Johnson. Not exactly the most motivating tune.
33. Separate Ways - Journey. I should just cut out of here and go hit up a dive-bar and drink bud bottles.
34. Little Deuce Coupe - The Beach Boys. And they were friends with Charlie Manson?
35. Cumblerland Blues - The Grateful Dead. Hells yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
36. Just Breathe - Pearl Jam. Slowly starting to think "Backspacer" is fucking awesome, though I always confuse this tune for Eddie Vedder's "Into the Wild" solo work.
37. She Said She Said - The Beatles. In the midst of a potential run of high quality tunage.
38. When Jesus Left Birmingham - John Mellencamp. And the run continues. I ain't ashamed to admit it, I did the Cougar.
39. Till We Aint Strangers Anymore - Bon Jovi. Save for 4 or 5 songs, I'm not interested in anything the boys wrote after 1993. This ain't one of those 5.
40. Mike's Song - Phish. It's a live version, so that means it's great for the first 3 minutes and completely skippable thereafter.
41. Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen - Bon Jovi. Who do I gotta blow to get some Living In Sin action?
42. Up on Cripple Creek - The Band. A top 20 of all time tune.
43. She's So High - Tal Bachman. A top 20 Million of all time tune.
44. Proud Mary - CCR. I'm due for another Creedence Kick in 3 more years.
45. I'm So Afraid - Fleetwood Mac. 6500 songs. 10 of which are Fleetwood Mac. I should get 1 every 650, not 1 every 22.5
46. Walk Believer Walk - Black Crowes. I'm sorry, I put "Warpaint" up there with their best albums. Both of the other two.
47. Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer. Factoid: Derrringer also sang Hulk Hogan's "Real American".
48. Be Mine - David Gray. He blows.
49. Dig - Incubus. A welcome change of pace.
50. Down By The River - Neil Young. Might be my favorite Neil Young song ever.
51. You Are The Sunshine - Stevie Wonder. Not his best work, plus forever tainted by MinuteMaid commercials of the late 1980s.
52. Happy Jack - The Who. One day it will be the theme song to CSI: Dumont.

And Sugar Magnolia  from the Cow Palace 1976 just made a most-welcome appearance. Good shit. Back to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment