Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Music Madness: Liverpool Region: Round 2

Two Shutouts, One Blowout and a surprisingly competitive match in front of the Liverpudlians. Love that word. Rest assured however, that the Sweet 16 will be awfully more competitive than Round 2.

Rules and Criteria can be found here

SHUTOUTS
(1) Beatles v (8) Wolfetonnes. Oh it pains me so. This cruel fate for the Rebels, to go out in a bloodbath at the hands of the British, on English soil. I'd have liked to avoid the shutout in principle, but the fact of the matter is, nothing was even close.
FINAL SCORE: BEATLES 9 - WOLFETONNES 0

(2) Led Zeppelin v (10) Willie Nelson I initially had Nelson taking the impact. Then I realized I must have inadvertently been smoking what he was . Not a chance. 
FINAL SCORE: LED ZEPPELIN 9 - WILLIE NELSON 0



BLOWOUT
(3) Pearl Jam v (6) Rolling Stones. The Stones obviously take Impact. Pearl Jam obviously takes everything else. This 3 seed is sneaky good. Don't take them lightly. An epic matchup with Zeppelin awaits...
FINAL SCORE: PEARL  JAM 8 - ROLLING STONES 1

NAILBITER
(5) Johnny Cash v (12) Sublime. Sublime already knocked out one legend in Jimi Hendrix. Is the Man in Black next?  Even though I believe that Cash's American IV: The Man Comes Around was the best album of the past decade,   I ever so slightly favor 40 Oz To Freedom. Sublime takes the album. As much as I love JRC, the connection I have to Sublime spans just as long, probably includes more people, and some of my best memories, be it the first time I heard "Waiting for My Ruca" (of which I shall plead the fifth on details) or the shared laughs over the orgasmic "Uhhhhhhh" in "Caress Me Down" at my brother-in-law's college graduation bash. As much as I cherished getting out of class at noon on Wednesdays in my last semester and going out for beer and wings and listening to "Boy Named Sue", Sublime takes the connection. 4 Points.

I don't think anyone can argue Cash's historic impact or entire collection. There's his 4 points and making the tie breaker the "defining song". As much as I love Cash's "Hurt", most people consider it a Nine Inch Nails tune and we'll leave it at that. Conversely, my favorite Sublime song is a Grateful Dead cover in "Scarlet Begonias". So it becomes "Walk the Line" head to head "Waiting for My Ruca". And I can't fathom this, but using the methodology I set out with from the start, we have a major upset. I mean, Christ, I have Johnny Cash on my personal Mount Rushmore of great musicians. Looking at the bracket, I thought he had a shot to beat the Beatles. But we officially have ourselves a Cinderella.
FINAL SCORE: SUBLIME 5 - JOHNNY CASH 4.

Looking ahead to the Sweet 16:
(1) Beatles v (12) Sublime. We can no longer underestimate them.
(2) Led Zeppelin v (3) Pearl Jam. Epic, Epic matchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment