Monday, May 10, 2010

Music Madness 2010: Charlottesville 1st Round

All Rules and Criteria can be found here

CHARLOTTESVILLE REGION: FIRST ROUND ACTION
(1) Dave Matthews Band v (16) Queen. Actually giving Queen the 1 point for "Historical Impact". Saving them from a shut out.
FINAL SCORE: DMB 8 - QUEEN 1

(8) Elvis Presley v (9) The Band. The King gets the Collection and Historic Impact. The Band gets album (Ophelia) and song ("Cripple Creek"). Personal connection is the deciding factor, and it goes to...Elvis. I was on a path to becoming one of those freaky candlelight-vigil-at-Graceland-people until I expanded my horizons musically (among other ways)
FINAL SCORE: ELVIS 5 - THE BAND 4

(4) U2 v (13) Poison. Brett Michaels' recent brush with his own mortality not withstanding, Poison wins the personal connection here. I've enjoyed them for what they are for over 20 years. But that's all they win. An Irish asswhoopin here.
FINAL SCORE: U2 7 - Poison 2

(5) Billy Joel v (12) Rage Against the Machine. A rare type of defeat, as Rage takes Album and Song and loses the rest.
FINAL SCORE: Billy Joel 6 - Rage Against the Machine 3

(3) Pink Floyd v (14) Arctic Monkeys. I loved the Monkeys' debut album. But it wasn't Dark Side. Shut Out.
FINAL SCORE: PINK FLOYD 9 - ARCTIC MONKEYS 0

(6) Phish v (11) Public Enemy. The easy parts: PE gets the Album, Fear of a Black Planet, and song "Welcome to the Terrordome". They also take the Historical Impact without any question. Phish, with their history, takes the collection. It comes down to Personal Connection. That's where it gets tricky. Try as I might to run from it, I can't deny the connection I've had with Phish over the last 15 years and change. Mainly because of my wife. But I have to be honest, even when it hurts. As much as I loved Terrordome during Fat-Out Fridays in college.
FINAL SCORE: PHISH 5 - PUBLIC ENEMY 4.

(7) Flogging Molly v (10) Jay Z. Molly takes album, Drunken Lullabies, and personal connection because they're so, well, Irish. Sean Carter takes down Impact, obviously, and the collection that goes with it. Defining Song is the tiebreaker, and in an upset, I just can't pick against "Empire State of Mind".
FINAL SCORE: JAY Z 5 - FLOGGING MOLLY 4.

(2) The Doors v (15) Dropkick Murphys. Not a good day for Irish-punk.
FINAL SCORE: DOORS 9 - DROPKICK MURPHYS 0

So when we finally get to round two, our matchups will be:
(1) Dave Matthews Band v (8) Elvis Presley
(4) U2 v (5) Billy Joel
(3) Pink Floyd v (6) Phish
(2) Doors v (10) Jay Z

This bracket looks heavily tilted towards the favorites, but you know what they say: "That's why I play these games in my head"

No comments:

Post a Comment