Friday, April 2, 2010

Five For (Good) Friday 4/2/10

Weather's more beautiful than Porterhouse and Lager meal with a loaded baked potato 'round these parts.

FIVE SONGS I'M GOING TO BLAST WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN ON THE WAY HOME
5. Brown Eyed Women (Grateful Dead) - Respect the song that respect Michael Scott's drink of choice (Grenadine)
4. Coming in from the Cold (Bob Marley) - Finally
3. Candy's Room (Bruce Springsteen) - Slowly turning into an obsession.  
2. Country Roads (John Denver) - A jumpstart on the pregame
1. Mr. Brightside (The Killers) - I know it's implied and all, but seriously, this line grinds my gears:
Now they're going to bed
and my stomach is SICK
And it's all in my head
but she's touching his.....Chest? Really?
Regardless, a great blow-your-speaker tune on a beautiful day.

FOUR SONGS FOR MY FOUR TEAMS
4. Paradise by the Dashboard Light - The New York Rangers. When I was barely seventeen, you blew my mind and hooked me for life. And I've regretted it ever since. Now I'm praying for the end of time so I can end my time with you.
3. Living In Sin - The Boston Celtics. Baby can you tell me just where we fit in? I call it love, they call it living in sin. I have a "Look Who's Coming to Dinner" moment every time someone finds out that despite being NYCmetro born and raised, I hate the Knicks and love me some C's.
2. Thank You - The New York Football Giants. I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life. Super Bowl XLII, 2/3/08, was just like 9/11, except totally opposite. Every year somebody wins a Super Bowl. Just about every NFL Team that's been around for a generation or two has won one. But nobody else ended perfection. Nobody else had the greatest play in the history of Sport. To think the ghosts of the 2004 ALCS could never be exorcised...
1. Wonderful Tonight  - The New York Yankees. Cheesey, Sappy, whatever. They rarely disappoint and the lifetime commitment has been much more joy than pain.

THREE RATINGS BONANZAS I NEVER GOT INTO
3. Survivor. From the little I've seen over the last 10 years, it seems so overwhelmingly obvious that it's all staged. And pretty friggin stupid and unappealing if you ask me.
2. American Idol. Karaoke's only fun when you're drunk.
1. Seinfeld. Dick Cheney once said he had "other priorities" during the Vietnam War that prevented him from serving. Well I has "other priorities" in the 90s I guess.

TWO CONSERVATIVES I ACTUALLY ENJOY FOLLOWING ON TWITTER
2. Meghan McCain. @McCainBlogette -Don't ask me why. There's little in terms of substance there, it's the twitter equivalent of Jersey Shore I guess. Maybe I'm just fascinated that a man as old as John McCain has a daughter significantly younger than me. Makes Larry King seem like an irresponsible teenage father.
1. Joe Scarborough  @JoeNBC. Always the first to criticize the outrageous and insulting behavior of the Tea Baggers, despite similar political views. 

ONE WAY TO MAKE EASTER MORE INTERESTING
1. Move it to Saturday. If you want a seat at the grown-up's holiday table, you can't be before a work day. Thanksgiving kicks off a 4 day weekend. Very few people work on December 26th. And if you do, you can go balls out on Christmas Eve. 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day - these are rarely celebrated the day before work starts. But nobody ever thinks to do Easter on a Saturday.
Even if you were to look at tradition, this could work. We know that Jesus died for your sins on Good Friday and rose on Sunday per biblical accounts. On Saturday, nothing happened. The Apostles sat around feeling sorry for themselves, and Jesus was, well, wherever people go in between dying and rising from the dead. So it's not as if we're depriving some sacred Saturday tradition of it's due. Easter on Saturday, it makes too much sense. Let the wine flow. Enjoy leftover ham sandwiches at 2 AM. And do your own miraculous resurection on Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment