Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Music Madness: Liverpool - Sweet 16

Forgive me if I'm a little disheveled this morning. I'm still coming to grips with what I will heretofore refer to as The Great Hanson Riots of 2010. I've been slacking a bit of late, but I want to make the nuns proud and follow the words of wisdom laid out by Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen - Finish What Ya Started.

Today's region brings what should be a blowout on paper as the 1 seed takes on Cinderella, and a very, very intriguing 2 v 3 match up.

Confused? Here's all you need to know 
Box Score Keys: EC (Entire Collection - 3 pts), DA (Defining Album - 2), PC (Personal Connection - 2), DS (Defining Song -1), HI (Historical Impact -1)



(1) Beatles v (12) Sublime
How They Got Here:
BEATLES: def (16) Kings of Leon 9-0, (8) Wolffe tones 9-0
SUBLIME: def (5) Jimi Hendrix 5-4, (4) Johnny Cash 5-4
Box Score:
EC: Sublime is yet to win this category, which makes it even more impressive that they've advanced, as this is the most valuable one. And for the third straight time, they fail to win it. Does it mean good things ahead? ADV: BEATLES
PC: This is where the upstarts have made their noise, as I've mentioned the youthful, fun, illicit, illegal and bizarre memories set to their soundtrack. But that ends here. We're talking about the Beatles here. The one cool band my parents liked. The Babe Ruth of 101.1 CBS FM. Like most, I had a strong Beatles foundation to begin with, but going off to school, discovering each album on an individual basis, it was a whole new experience some 25, 30 years after their release. You can't just write off something like that. ADV: BEATLES
DA: This is officially in the books. Now it's just a matter of seeing if the Liverpudlians can match Dylan's 27-0 categorical start. Of the 16 teams to advance to the regional semi-finals, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ranks 6th among all albums. 40 oz to Freedom, though I love it so, comes in 16th. ADV: BEATLES
DS: "Hey Jude" you're number 11. If you're "Waiting for My Ruca", you'll find her at thirteen. ADV: BEATLES
HI: Like comparing Thomas Jefferson and George W. Bush. Yeah, they were both Presidents and all, but...ADV: BEATLES

The fairytale is over, it's down to the big boys now. And John, George, Paul and Ringo carry their undefeated streak into the Elite 8.

FINAL SCORE: BEATLES 9 - SUBLIME 0

(2) Led Zeppelin v (3) Pearl Jam
How They Got Here:
ZEPPELIN: Def (15) Raconteurs 9-0, (10) Willie Nelson 9-0
PEARL JAM: Def (14) Radiohead 9-0, (6) Rolling Stones 8-1
Box Score:
EC: What a battle of heavyweights we have going on right now. With the release of Backspacer, Pearl Jam has expanded their resume into some rarefied air. 9 albums. 18 years. Many classics among them. Most impressive, in my opinion, is that they're best 5 consist of their first 3 and last 2. Could it be that I was into other things in the middle? Maybe. Zeppelin likewise has 9 major releases to their name. And maybe it's because of the aforementioned middle-gap with Pearl Jam, but I have to declare this one to be property of Led Zeppelin. ADV: LZ
DA: On that chart I just mentioned, Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy comes in at a very respectable #9. That's eight spots behind Ten. You can do the math on that one. ADV: PJ
DS: I felt there was no choice but to name "Stairway" the defining Zeppelin songs. Some artists, I can make the choice. Sometimes, the choice makes itself despite what I may think. Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" may be his most popular tune, but it's not the song that the masses define him by. The only other comp I can come with here is the relationship between Lynrd Skynrd and "Free Bird". I may prefer "Going to California" or "The Immigrant Song" personally, but "Stairway" it is, and that's ranked #10. Regardless of which song I went with though, it wasn't touching the fabled sheets of empty canvas. ADV: PJ 

HI: Hitting the homestretch at a 3-3 tie, could one expect any less? I struggled with this one and here's why: I grew up with the notion that Led Zeppelin was already classic rock. By the time I was buying music on my own, they were done making it, about 18 years after their debut. However, now we're 18 years into Pearl Jam's popular existence. Is it not time that they enter the same pantheon? I think it is. But some states of mind are impossible to exit. I still view the two in completely different ways. Maybe I'm holding on to the idea of youth, but I have to call this one for Zep. ADV: LZ 
PC: My favorite category. And I've probably made it clear already. I'll explain more in the Elite Eight how strong the bond is as they go head-to-head with the Undefeated Beatles - a connection match up that I have no idea how it may shake out. But Pearl Jam's going to be a tough beat in this category. For all comers. ADV: PJ 
FINAL SCORE: PEARL JAM 5 - LED ZEPPELIN 4 

REMAINING SCHEDULE
Charlottesville Sweet 16
(1) Dave Matthews Band v (5) Billy Joel
(2) The Doors v (3) Pink Floyd
San Francisco Sweet 16
(1) Grateful Dead v (4) Bob Marley
(2) Bruce Springsteen v (3) Simon & Garfunkel
The Village Regional Final
(1) Bob Dylan v (2) Guns N Roses
Liverpool Regional Final
(1) Beatles v (3) Pearl Jam.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment